15 April, 2020
Hot Cross Buns
How To Make Easy Hot Cross Buns
You Will Need:
3,5 cups self-raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup soft butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup raisins (soak in some boiling water first)
1 cup milk
1/3 cup water and 1/2 cup flour for crosses
1 tsp gelatin and 1 tbs sugar for the glaze
- Preheat oven to 450F/220 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a 20 x 30 cm baking dish.
- Combine your self-raising flour, salt, mixed spice, and cinnamon.
- Rub in 1/4 c butter (softened).
- Add sugar and raisins.
- Mix in egg, lightly beaten, and slowly add about 1 c milk, until a stiff dough is formed.
- Roll out the dough to 1cm thick and cut out buns with a 5cm cutter – apparently it makes 8 but we got loads more.
- For the crosses, mix 1/3 c water and 1/2 c flour and pipe the crosses onto the buns.
- Bake for 15-20 min (I grilled them a bit at the end, to brown the tops).
- For the glaze, dissolve 1 tsp gelatin and 1 tbsp sugar in 1 tbsp hot water and brush this over the warm buns.